Wednesday, March 9, 2011

My 1st Job Experience

Dum....da dum....dum dum dum da dum....*masa untuk entry panjang*

My deepest gratitude to Allah S.W.T for giving me this job opportunity to serve my country as Pegawai Tadbir and Diplomatik (PTD) by lantikan 1/2010. Actually, I had started working as PTD since 17 November 2008. My first ever job since graduating from UPM in Bac. Sc. (Biotechnology). But, that one was under lantikan JPA. Servis tak dikira. Timba pengalaman selama setahun setengah.

The truth is, I had never heard of PTD before, throughout my years as a student. Tup2, JPA panggil interview (was JPA scholars back in UPM). When they mentioned M41, I was thinking of Skim Pegawai Tadbir (N41) coz I never applied for M41 before. I thought M41 is only for those who wanted to be a diplomat, working overseas. I never wanted that at that time. But still, I went for the interview. My plan to further my studies in MBA had to be put on hold. Already completed my registration forms but haven't got the chance to hand it in when JPA called. I passed and got the job.

I was assigned to Ministry of Unity, Culture, Arts and Heritage @ KPKKW. Being posted at Bahagian Pengurusan under Dato' K Bala Singam - a great boss he is. Supposed to be doing admin but I did procurement instead. Stand in for Rachel because she was off to DPA. Then, Cabinet reshuffled in April 2009 and KPKKW merged with MOI to form KPKK (Kem. Penerangan, Komunikasi dan Kebudayaan). After being under Bahagian Khidmat Pengurusan for more than a month, I got back into Bahagian Kewangan to do procurement.

Do I love my job? Of course. Who wouldn't?

Throughout my 2 years as government servants, lots of things I have learned. Especially from doing procurement. Doing procurement is like being in a hot seat.You have to be extra careful in everything you do. Our job scopes? We have to deal with the outsiders - contractors & businessmen. Some of them are OK, but some are just plain annoying. But, we still have to entertain them anyway.
1Malaysia - Rakyat Didahulukan, Pencapaian Diutamakan.

The most important thing to remember when handling procurement is to always be fair and just. Bribery is common. You must be firm and never acknowledge them. One statement that I hate to hear, esp from my family members - "Orang kerja Kerajaan ni biasa la kalau bab-bab terima rasuah ni". HELLLLLOOOOOO!!!!! I work with the Government now! Don't simply assault us like that. Mind you "It Takes Two to Tango" - kalau takde yang memberi, takdelah yang menerima. Bear that in mind.

The best thing I have learned so far is in leadership - this one I get from Dato' Bala. It is hard to practice though....still improving....=P
 ' Good Leader Takes The Blame & Gives Credits to Those Who Deserves It '

The next thing is RESPECT. People won't respect you if you don't respect them, at least as a human being. No matter what level they are. So, be wise in leading those under you.  There is no need in using harsh words. Diplomacy is the answer. But, you still have to be careful not to let them stab you from the back... =P

Oh, yeah! Another reminder - be extra careful when you are dealing with those from the top management. You absolutely don't wanna go and upset them as you will immediately get a love letter from them - a 24hrs transfer order. Hikhik.... =P .....You don't have to 'fan' them. Doing your job well is more than enough.

Teet....da tatau nak tulis apa...nanti update lagi...=P

No comments:

Post a Comment